Saturday, March 5, 2011

Is it arrogance or laziness?

When asked to identify their home (or place of origin), the people of this country say America.  That's partially correct.  They proudly state "I'm an American!"  Again, partially correct.  That is much the same as a Frenchman saying "I'm European."  Now we all know how arrogant the French are... there is no way a Frenchman would say that.  He has too much pride in who he is, his country, and it's history. 
Are we so arrogant in this country to assume we are the only Americans of consequence?  Let us face facts, the people living in each of the following countries are also Americans... Argentina, Aruba, Belize, Bolivia, Bonaire, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Curaçao, Ecuador, El Salvador, Falkland Islands, French Guiana, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, South Georgia and the South Sandwich islands, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela.  They may be from North, Central, or South America, but they are all Americans none the less.
So why do we say "I'm an American!" if not out of arrogance? Is it that we lack pride in our country and its history and we want to hide our identity amongst the other people of the Americas? From everything I see and hear, especially during the last presidential campaign, the answer to that question is a resounding NO!
Perhaps we have just grown lazy?  It does take a lot of lung capacity to blow enough air past the vocal chords to say: "I am a citizen of the United States of America."  Of course, you could always save some air and some time by saying "I am a citizen of the USA." 
My point, I guess, is that we citizens can be proud of who we are without being arrogant or lazy.  Let's say it like it is...  I am not only an American... I am a Citizen of the United States of America!
One last note for the diehard lazy person out there that thinks he can simply say "I'm from the United States."  There are two United States in America.  In fact both are in North America. There is The United States of America and the United States of Mexico (or as they say in the official language of that country: Estados Unidos Mexicanos).
FoR

2 comments:

  1. Well, I may not post a new blog but hey I can comment and its easier(lazy).

    Its not laziness or arrogance when people say I am an American. For example, people say I will Google this...because Google is so awesome and powerful, its synonymous to Searching. Similarly, USA is sooooo awesome, powerful and dominating, that when people say America, its synonymous to USA. And this is true all over the world...well at least my experience says it is true in Italy, Canada and India...Example: They just say..."These Americans are so awesome with their Computers, Technology and Hollywood"...they of course don't mean to include Honduras, Mexico, etc. In short, United States of America(between Mexico and Canada) has earned itself to be called synonymous to America through years of hard work, perseverance and awesomeness !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Excitement... Thank you for the "over seas" perspective. I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or genuine. I think many countries despise us for the same reasons that seem to impress you. FoR

    ReplyDelete